Atmosphere is key to a good dance. There have been a few places that I've danced where the atmosphere is full of raging hormones and basically dirt- gross, sleazy, infatuated dirt. As you can gather from this description, I'm not a fan of such establishments and I usually refer to them as "meat markets". As a woman I felt like I was in the auction ring as a prized piece of cattle, ready to be sold to the highest bidder. Places like these make me feel dirty and slimmy.
But, each to their own. For some, they have a place in this world.

I digress. Let me tell you about a different atmosphere that I like to call Broadway, actually it is known as Broadway- The Broadway Theatre! This past weekend I had the unique opportunity to see the infamous musical, RENT. I would place this production in my top five best musicals ever. There are many reasons why I would put it there, but for now, I will focus on dance.

RENT isn't necessarily known for it's dance numbers, but I would argue that when they happen they are fabulous. Each dance is filled with emotion, with passion, with anxiety, with thrill. One number in particular is a dance between Mark, one of the main characters, and Joanne, the new lover of Mark's ex. They do the "Tango Moreen"; a dance that on its own is nothing spectacular, but when you add the atmosphere around it, it becomes memorable. The set, the context, the characters, the reason behind it, the music, all create a rich back-drop for a basic dance. Under this analysis, I would hope you'd agree that atmosphere is key.

Mark and Joanne were dancin'.

To give you an idea.

Monday, January 25, 2010 Posted in | , | 0 Comments »

One Responses to "Criteria #2: Atmosphere"

Write a comment