On Sunday, my class had a year end party at White Haut, a location that I've mentioned before on this blog (I apologize they do not have a website that I can direct you to). It was a fabulous night were we were able to socialize together and interact on a non-professional level. Thanks to Jamie, our event organizer, we had free drinks, sushi, and a fabulous location. It was a great night. Thank you Jamie.
Around 11 o'clock, one of my favourite local talents, LMT Connection got on stage and I had to break out the moves and start dancin'. For many of my classmates this was the first time they had seen my truly dance and I think I may have surprised them just a bit, not by my fabulous moves, by no means, but instead by the fact that I actually danced.
I wont dwell here long, but my favourite comment of the evening was from one classmate who compared me to Elaine from Seinfeld. In one episode Elaine goes to an office party and when the dance begins, she starts to bust a move on the dance floor. Everyone around her is shocked by her erratic movements, all the while, Elaine is under the impression that she is a really good dancer. At the end of the episode she realizes that her dance moves are not favoured by many and in fact she is a point of mockery. (See below for a taste of the hilarity).
Now I will admit, I'm not the best dancer in the world, but I really hope that I'm not that bad. My philosophy is that it doesn't matter if you are a fabulous dancer or a mediocre dancer, I think that those who truly dance show up anyone who is barely dancing at all.
Next time you see someone who is dancin and you find yourself pointing the finger and laughing, I urge you go out and join them. From my stand point it's better to be making a fool of yourself and truly be dancin then to not dance at all.
And who knows you may just discover the Elaine in you too. Thanks classmate for reminding me to keep dancing like no body is watching.

Monday, March 15, 2010 Posted in | , , | 10 Comments »

One Responses to "Criteria #9: Someone who can make you laugh"

  1. Doreen "Stace" G says:

    I must admit suzanne, I read your blog from time to time and I know it is about dancin'. However on Sunday I saw you in action, it still came as a surprise to me to see you busting those moves! You unleashed your wild side, no shyness there, lol. For those wondering, you can't even blame it on the alcohol because Suzanne had what, one drink? It was definately all her doing her 'thang' on the dancefloor.

  1. Suzanne Veenstra says:

    Thank Doreen for the comment. It is true, I had only one drink. What you see is what you get with me, no external influences. Thanks for the encouragement.

  1. Miss S says:

    Suzanne, you make me happy when you dance! You remind me of what I believe myself: that when you are truly in the moment you are dancing to make yourself happy and can just let go of all your worries. Thank you!

  1. Amanda says:

    Suzanne, I love to go dancing with you. Watching you dance makes me want to dance! I look forward to many more nights of dancin'!

  1. Sharon says:

    Suzanne, think you should spike the drinks of whoever made the "Elaine" comment.
    I dance quite alot...at home...we don't own many mirrors.

  1. Suzanne Veenstra says:

    I think that's a fabulous idea to not have any mirrors in your house. That really makes life more enjoyable. Thanks for the comment Sharon.

  1. Sharon says:

    Yes, well I sing in the shower too.

  1. Jamie Kreiner says:

    Oh Suzanne when I heard that I was not impressed at all...I LOVE dancing with you, I think I have the most fun dancing with you than anyone else. You have so much fun while dancing and your joy just radiates to everyone else around you, pay no attention to negative comments, their just jealous they aren't having as much fun as you!!!

  1. Ash J says:

    I love LMT. They make me want to dance. Im sure you were very impressive with those dance skills. Remember my speech its always better when you can laugh at yourself !

  1. Bloggerforlife says:

    Nice one. Very interesting article. Dial A Bottle Ottawa

Write a comment